Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debian - Kernel install causes no modules to load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobascojojo

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
Hello all,

I am fairly new to Linux and I am trying to install a new kernel version (ver 2.4.18). I have installed it about 3 times and everytime I do it, no modules get loaded when I try a lsmod.

I have tried it both the "Debian" way through:

make xconfig
make-kpkg kernel-image
cd ..
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.18_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
etc

and the conventional way through make dep, make clean, make modules, make modules_install, etc

Everytime, after I reboot and login, no modules are getting loaded. Am I missing a step? Thanks for any help!

No. They are installed (I would gather) and a modprobe will prove (or tell you) that, my guess is that they are just not loaded. To load a module use the
Code:
-k
switch to modprobe... I can't remember where, but there is a file that loads them at start up.

(Now where can I find the code for fat12 module... hmmm... )

Thanks for your help. I did a modprobe \* which loaded a module called dummy. To my understanding, modules have a ".o" extension so I did a find command for *.o and it found the dummy.o module in the /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 but it didn't find any of the other modules that I set in the xconfig. Any ideas?

Also, when I do a modprobe -l it only lists:
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/dummy.o

Try downloading the newest stable kernel from linuxkernel.org (Linus has been busy... 2.6.1 is out (2.6.0 should be the newest stable)... And then follow the directions...
When in xconfig, what modules did you chose to install? I'm not familiar with Debain, does it require a make modules also? I know that Linus's tree requires a make modules.
For another problem I recently upgraded to 2.6.1 and now when I boot to it (the old kernels are still installed and are can beloaded by GRUB, so I'm still up running) and select 2.6.1 I get a kernel panic (that after googling, find is very common -- so I think I forgot to set someting)... So I may not be the best person to help you.

Yep, I've tried 2.6.1 and also got the kernel panic. I remember finding the answer to that though. But still with 2.6.1, I remember that none of my modules got loaded. I must be missing something, hmm. Thanks for your help anyways!

Did you
Code:
make modules
and
Code:
make modules_install
?
The panic is "init was not set, please pass init in to boot" so I passes /bin/sh and no-luck... still playing with it (at the Uni now, but I'll play with it when I get home).

Does it perhaps fix the problem if you run

make-kpkg --initrd --bzimage build after make xconfig?

Check the above is switches are spelt right in "man make-kpkg".

jstreich:

Yep, I did a make modules and make modules_install and still no go. From what I understand when installing kernels the Debian way, the kernel-package will take care of all the make modules and make modules_install. I think I remember my kernel panic to be alittle different, don't remember what it was though right now.

Mellegem:

I'm trying your suggestion now and seeing if it works. I'll post when I finish.

Thanks guys for the help!

Mellegem:

I did a make-kpkg --initrd --bzimage but what commands do you run afterwards? Is this command suppose to create a debian image? if so where does it create one? thanks!

Last I used Debian, they had a 'modconf' tool that always automagically setup the auto-loading of whatever modules I setup with it. Have you tried using that?

----
JBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back