Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debian install issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjmartin

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
US
Hello,

I am attempting to install Debian 2.2 rev7 (i386) on a Pentium II box. I made it through some initial roadblocks (by removing modem/network card/sound card): after selecting the default flavor (idepci) it would hang shortly thereafter.

I've configured the keyboard, partitioned for a swap, and am stuck when trying to install the kernel/module. I receive an error stating that it can't extract from the rescue floppy and that I should put in the correct disc. I'm using the same disc (binary 1 iso) the entire time.

I've never tried to install Debian or any other Linux distribution, so thanks for any ideas/thoughts/direction you can provide.

whatever you do, don't let the debian installer put you off linux ;)

the version of debian you have contains a lot of old software. you could try getting the latest debian 3.0 disks and hope that the installer works better with that.

other installers provided by mandrake, redhat, suse are much better altho as a debian user i'd recommend persisting with it ;)

if you have an irc client try joining #debian on irc.debian.org and you'll be able to get some good support from other users.

MrTom,

Thanks for your advice (and encouragement). Actually, I ordered the 3.0 disks last month, but got impatient waiting for their arrival, and lacking a response from the vendor, I downloaded 2.2. I might wait to see if the cd's ever arrive or try the jigdo download.

Thanks again!

Okay...trying to the 3.0 download via jigdo but the help file is somewhat confusing to me as the directions seem to be specific to Linux/Unix, whereas I'm downloading from a Windows 2000 platform (using jigdo-lite.bat).

I've downloaded all 8 .template/.jigdo combos:

woody-i386-1.jigdo
woody-i386-1.template
woody-i386-1_NONUS.jigdo
woody-i386-1_NONUS.template
woody-i386-2.jigdo
woody-i386-2.template
woody-i386-3.jigdo
woody-i386-3.template
woody-i386-4.jigdo
woody-i386-4.template
woody-i386-5.jigdo
woody-i386-5.template
woody-i386-6.jigdo
woody-i386-6.template
woody-i386-7.jigdo
woody-i386-7.template

Each .jigdo file created a .jigdo.unpacked file.

Can anyone advise as to which file(s) are to be burned to CD in order to install Debian 3.0? The jigdo/Debian "help" file seemed to suggest there were additional binary.iso files to be downloaded...

Again, I'm a total newbie, so I apologize for my obvious ignorance. Thanks a ton for any suggestions, hints, or directions that anyone can provide!

If you have the Debian v3 CDs 1-7, you should just be able to boot from Binary 1.

Or have I misunderstood something ?

MJoyce,

I purchased the the 3.0 cd's, however I've yet to receive or anything from the vendor in over a month. My patience led me to pursue the download of ver 3.0 cd images via jigdo, which led to my latest post/question.

Success! I was able to use jigdo to download a valid "binary-1.iso" file for 3.0...finally!. I burned it to cd and installed Debian (default flavor) without any problems. :-D

Much configuration remains, but I'm looking forward to that part...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back