Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deamon log on the Client too large

Status
Not open for further replies.

brackovic

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2004
Hi,

I already sow the answers about size of daemon.log file. I have also examined documents about sizing this file (NSR_MAXLOGSIZE environment variable, default value, etc.).
But I have one specific problem: all issues are discused about server's logs, but my customer does have problem with client daemon logs.
Namely, he got daemon.log on the one client with size of 3.5 GB. As this one client is relatively old one, this caused full disk problem and of course stopping of all services that are running on that server.

What is possible solution for this kind of problem (trimming, or limiting the deamon.log size on the NW Client side) ??

S

Look at scheduling daily stop/starts of te Networker client service, this should allow the auto-tidying of the log. If you do not stop/start the service (or reload t box to do so ) then the file does not tidy.

What a stable system! I just don't understand why a CLIENT file would get that large - all it could monitor is the nsrexecd daemon.

In fact the NW server begins a new file if the current one exceeds 1MB AND nsrd (the server deamon) is restarted.
NW will keep up to 4 old versions.

To cure the problem. simply stop the daemon(s), delete the file and restart the daemons.

Well, restarting of the services with deleting the log file is solution, but it requires admin's activity, or at least some scheduled batch procedure.

Is there any possibility to limit log file size on the client side, similar as it's default case on the server side?
Environment variable?
Some file for setting?
Some hidden attribute?

S

Curing the problem would actually require first looking at the client's daemon.log itself and seeing what messages it has... then act appropriately based on what's there.

It is unusual for a client's daenon.log to grow to any significant size, unless you're talking about an extreme length of time.

In the client's daemon.log, I have seen reorts for resolution issues issues and unauthorized backup server connections.

Hello,
First of all, i like this forums, but thier administrators are sleepy, i had problem with my account and have been trying to get help from them with multiple emails--NO answer,I did get one weired responce, with a virus in it.
finnaly i just had to create another accout to get in...WAKE UP.
In responce to above question, I must say the log file looks too large, just move or delete the log and Networker will re-create it, i typically move the logs every once in a while to diffent folder for futhure reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back