Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deadly Habits in Excel 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great thread...time to add it to my Archive.

Gerry

Shoot, and give another star, which I forgot to do the first time.

Gerry

These rule are ridiculous.. I would never follow them :)

Great write-up, should put it in the FAQ's...

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Thanks to Fumei for pointing out (to me, at least) the archive feature here. That's a cool feature! My yellow post-it notes were getting really hard to organize.

GS

[small][navy]**********************^*********************
I always know where people are going to sit. I'm chairvoyant.[/navy][/small]

This extends the item about not mixing data types in a column: it can happen to you behind the scenes and you may not be aware of it:
In other words, be very wary of auto-format. Maybe just turn it off. As we all know data should be independent of presentation.

PS. If you import a spreadsheet into a database table, you'll find out right away if you have mixed data types in a column.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back