Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deadlock error during STSADM export

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanHerschel

Programmer
Mar 29, 2007
US
Error: Transaction (Process ID xxx) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim.

We have been plagued lately with getting deadlock errors during an STSADM export. We are doing a lot of migrations and this error occurs multiple times and we have a low passing rate. Does anybody have any ideas how to resolve this or tips so that we don’t get them?

Is this SQL related or SharePoint version related?
We are running SP version 12.0.0.6524

During my search, didn’t find any resolutions…
No answers here:
This refers to STSADM import, but we have not encountered it during import:
Again, import only, but this blog talks about disabling event receivers on box. How do I do that?

Any advice is appreciated!

Jonathan K Herschel

Hi Jonathan. I haven't hit this particular error before and don't know anything about Sharepoint's event receivers.

However I do have a suggestion... have you put a read-only lock on the site collection (Admin Console -> Application Management -> Site Collection Quota and Locks) before starting your export? I believe Microsoft recommend this, if only because it ensures your export will be consistent.

Do you have a reference where this is recommended? I have read a few blogs that suggest it doesn't work.

the message on the bottom says "Export and sitelock: When using export rather than backup, it appears that the noaccess lock is too restrictive and the export command cannot execute. I used sitelock readonly instead. That seemed to work fine for the export.
But careful, the import then failed with an error message indicating that a certain parent web not being present.
Conclusion: sitelock cannot be used with export."

- says not to use setsitelock

I guess it is worth a try to see if it resolves our issue...

Jonathan K Herschel

Hmmm, you've caught me there. Sorry, I think I was thinking of the stsadm backup operation, not the import operation you clearly mentioned. My bad.

As an aside, WSS SP2 introduced automatic site locking for the backup operation (which I take to be a very strong recommendation from Microsoft).

As for the export problem you mention, sorry I'm out of ideas. I hope someone else can offer further suggestions for you. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back