Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead to the network servers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

guidovalduchi

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2000
US
I have two win2k adv. server computers that all of a sudden stopped accepting connections from network computers, however they still connect/talk whatever have you to any machine in the network.

When I go from my computer to one of the 2 servers in question windows returns the following critical error:

\\server1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

I have checked left and right, up and down all permissions that pertain to users and this computer, everything checks out fine.

Background: NT4 domain, 1 PDC, 2 BDC's 3 NT4 member servers, 8 2000 member servers. All NT machines on SP6a, all 2k machines on SP3.

Thanks in advance!

Do you receive this error message when logging in with a user account? If so, can you log into the network using the Administrator account?

If this is the case, I would check out the GPO's you have in place on the network...and who they Apply to.

Just a thought...[ponytails2]

Actually logging onto the servers works perfectly fine, for local, and domain users, and the machines themselves work fine when running programs or even access resources on other machines. It really doesn't make any sense how and why this does and doesn't work. I'm at a total loss for any ideas on this.

The group policies on this machine are default, no changes there, I've even stepped through the registry to see if anything there seems out of the "norm" and everything looks perfect there too.

I have downgraded switched roles on the BDC and PDC to see if that would have any effect but it doesn't seem so.

Thanks again.

It is possible that you (or someone else who has administrator authority) has modified the Access this computer from the Network Policy.

This could be set in the 'Local Secuirty Setting', within the 'Administrative Tools' section of the 'Control Panel'. You can browse to the 'Local Policies' and observe the 'User Rights Assignment'. Here you will find a key filed on the right hand side of the screen labelled 'Access this computer from the network' - ensure you are within the listed personnel.

Joe.

Yes I can ping them perfectly fine, and yes I have checked the Local Security Settings, and they are allowing the domain to access the machines.

Have you tried re-booting them. Also do a trace route, ipconfig /all, the simple stuff. That's usually where I start before I start digging to deep. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]
"The characteristic of scientific progress is our knowing that we did not know."
Gaston Bachelard (1884-1962); French philosopher.

Oh yeah, I've done all the "simple" stuff rebooting, etc. What its starting to look like is server manager is loosing the servers, I took one out of the domain and re-added it, and it worked, for about 30 minutes, and then went kaputt again. I'm thinking that my whole network might be farked beyond repair.

Whoo...

Thats a lot of information there, but the problem that your having isn't communicating with the servers, as you are getting a message back from them so you are communicating, no problem.

What has happened is that you (or someone) has setup a policy (group, local, domain, domain controler, etc) somewhere, that does not allow people to map a drive to the server or access it remotely (as you are trying to do).

Find that setting and your problem will go away... NOTE: It is probably in the Domain Controler Policy in the Administrative Tools from the start menu on any AD Domain Controler... CJ
- If chickens could fly would they egg ugly people?

One major problem in your answer CharlieJax - I'm not running AD yet. We still are controlling everything through a set of NT 4 servers.

Thanks everyone, finally figured it out. Two fold problem, NetBIOS was uninstalled and the local network policy was wiped clean. Everything set back in place and my network is back up and running.

Thanks again!

[cheers] Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The fruit derived from labor is the sweetest of all pleasures."
Luc de Clapiers, Marquis of Vauvenargues (1715-1747); French moralist.

Glad you fixed it, but I would check a little deeper to see what caused this to change. I had this same problem last year; it was the result of a virus attack.

I won't go into all the bloody details, but in the end a clean install was required since the 'clean up' utilities did as much damage as the virus did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back