Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

retto

Technical User
Oct 3, 2002
US
Maybe someone can help me with this. I have a Silicon Graphics 320 Server, when I plug it in the power immeidately comes on. The problem is that there is no life from that point on. The fans all spin and the peripheral devices get power. I have tested each in another system and they all check out as well. No image appears on the monitor, and the off/on switch does not work. I've removed the RAM and tried to boot from a naked board but nothing nothing. I know it's probably a lost cause, but I'd really like to get this thing working. Any suggestions?

when you removed the ram and you didnt get some beeps from bios i think your cpu is gone.

No, I don't get far enough for there to be any beeps. All that happens is the power supply runs and nothing comes up on screen, there are no beeps, nothing. When I remove/add components, it doesn't make a difference. I was thining that it may have something to do with the power supply, but wanted to check, before wasting any money. The board supports dual cpu's, but an improper jumper setting wouldn't cause somthing like this, would it?

retto: Lemon13 means that in order for the motherboard to go through POST and beep at you, it needs a working CPU.

It is possible your CPU is gone. If you remove either the RAM or the video card and the motherboard doesn't beep at you, that is an indicator the CPU may not be functional.

D

No beeps is cpu problem, or speaker ;) Do check the jumper settings especially if it is a dual processor board with only 1 installed.

Ok, I will give that a try. The jumpers and CPU, that is.

Ok, I got some signs of life after changing out the CPU and making sure the jumpers were in the right position, no signal to the monitor, however. Is it possible for an on-board video card to burn out, and leave the machine in the a hanging state?

any beep codes, hd activity? It's possible that onboard video is disabled in the bios.

No beep codes. There is not even a signal sent to the monitor, which I know is working correctly.

The drive sounds like it's going through the BIOS count up. The power button works now and the lights respond on the front of the box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back