Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiLvERChiC

Technical User
Jul 8, 2002
AU
I have a server thats completely dead. Previously it had Netware 5.1 installed. I was wondering if there was anyway to 'boot' it up... like how with windows you have startup disks; Is there anything similar that can be used for novell?

When you say dead, what exactly do you mean? What is wrong with it? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

If it's dead, as in drives dead, you're pretty much out of luck. If it is not booting, and you don't know if the netware OS is any good, boot from a DOS boot disk, change to the NWSERVER directory and invoke server.exe. If the netware is any good, the server should come up. If it won't boot from a DOS diskette, you probably have an expensive door stop. Before you scrap it though, do lots of hardware troubleshooting.

For what its worth,
I've run into that a couple of times and have taken the RAID controllers and NIC out of the old box and put it into another one. It can be hateful but will usally come up if the problem was the Motherboard/Power/etc.

What hillbilly101 says is correct. It's nasty, but with a lot of work will come up. If its the same type of box, and the controller and nic go into the same slots, life is better. Otherwise, you're looking at several hours of re-configuration. But, it might be better than starting from scratch.

Lets find out a desciption of the problem before we jump to any conclusions...

:eek:)

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back