Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callan101

MIS
Nov 12, 2002
GB
My 386 PC had trouble booting the other day, but worked fine once started. When I switched off though, I just got coloured lines on the screen (like a duff video card) and it wouldn't shut down, even holding the "On" switch in. Had to pull the plug to switch it off. It's now completely dead - no lights, beeps, and even the power supply fan doesn't move. I checked the power cable and changed the PSU, but it's still dead. If the mobo's gone, would that kill everything, including the PSU fan? Any other ideas?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks

Check the MB for leaking, bulging, or ruptured capacitors(small upright cylindrical objects).

Pretty sure they're OK but I'll have a closer look when I'm home.

Cheers

Sure it might not be the case switch or header on the mobo? Try shorting the pins manually to see if it comes on

Could be the switch, but the shutdown pattern on the screen suggested MB or power. It's worth a look, though - could explain the lack of activity in the PSU. Thanks.

Maybe stating the obvious:
[ul]
[li]Make sure your power outlet has power[/li]
[li]Your cord to the power supply is good[/li]
[li]Check the back of the power supply for:[/li]
[ul square]
[li]Correct AC voltage setting[/li]
[li]If it has a switch, ensure it's in the On position[/li]
[/ul]
[/ul]

I unplugged the cable from another PC beside it (which is working OK) and tried that, so the power to the PC is OK. It's been fine for four years, so it's at the right voltage! (but I had checked anyway...). I put a new PSU in anyway, but still no joy. There's no smell from the old PSU, which I would have expected if it had burned out, which is why I'm reluctantly turning to the MB as the problem (have you tried to get a replacement 386 MB recently?!).

Thanks anyway.

Please don't think I was trying to offend in any way, Callan. Just pointing out some basics to cover all bases. The power supply suggestions were meant for your new power supply.

No offence taken - I didn't mean to sound huffy. The basics are the best place to start, and all too easy to overlook. I've lost count of the number of times I've been called to a laptop that's died, been assured that it was plugged in, and found that the wall switch wasn't on. (And yes, I've done it myself....).

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back