Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DEAD mobo?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

haasd0g

Vendor
Mar 4, 2005
US
hey, while surfing the web yesterday (nothing strenuous)my computer up and died. the screen froze, i gave the 3 finger salute, when the splash screen came on it beeped like crazy then the monitor turned off.
Now, the computer powers on, but keyboard and mouse do not light and neither will the monitor.
i have 2 512mb sticks of ram in dual channel and tried rebooting with just one, then just the other and got the same condition...
could it be my mobo died?
if so, what do i get to replace a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP? i need socket 478 w dual channel ddr and SATA RAID0.
any help/suggestions appreciated!

also any suggestions for the bruise im getting on my forehead beating it against my desk...

ca you even enter your bios settings?

do you have a recovery disk or an alternate way of booting up handy? A CD? Lets rule out your harddrive

what is the system? a out of box? or pieced? OS?

Tom

i cant get the monitor to come to life--says theres no signal, so i cant really get into any settings...
the computer is a homebuild, about 2 years old running xp pro. 2 raptors RAID0 3.02e ht

i just had the same condition on another machine and it turned out to be a bad stick of ram. could both of my sticks gone bad simultaneously?

sorry (wish we could edit posts)
3.2e ht proc

--im dumbing my own machine down!

The percentage guess would be the power supply just died on one rail.
if you have the option swap out the Psu.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

AHA. The PSU grinch strikes again. I am in the middle of this mess myself, and it may not be.

I have posted the bits and pieces I am picking up all over the place, but here's what I think I know:
1. If newer PSU, the chance is just as well the board. (this direct from Board support)
2) To check try to power up with power connector and switch from another computer.
3) If that doesn't work, try resetting CMOS.
paparazi knows more than I do about this. Good luck.
If it won't power on from other computer or power source, it's mobo. If it will, it's psu. good luck.

i attached another power supply - did NOT power drives, but got the same result with no display. Im not sure how to reset CMOS...
So I find myself back at the mobo and plea to anyone with connections for old hardware to tell me what i can replace this board with and from where.
I need:
1) Socket 478 w/ support for prescott 3.2ht
2) AGP
3) RAID0
4) Dual channel DDR400
5) AGP

I just bought a 7800gs oc 2 weeks ago. I was on the fence for 2 weeks before that on replacing the mobo&proc and moving on to pci x16..... but here I am.
thanks for suggestions so far

Try the new PSU but without hard drives, CDRoms or addon cards, now see if it posts.
If the original PSU failed then it is very common that when it went south the resultant spike seriously damaged either a HDD or rom device putting it's circuitry to ground.

I would seriously advise taking your system to the absolute bare minimum including pulling off front panel connections and using a small flat blade srewdriver across the PWR header pins momentarily to start up.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

anyone still listening?...
the mobo was indeed fried.
i purchased a ASUS p4s800d x thinking my problems were solved...
i can get into the RAID utility, but it appears as though i will lose all my data by creating the RAID.
Any suggestions on how to not lose everything? (no wisecracks about regularly backing up data please)
I think another Gigabyte GA-8knxp would solve my problem, would the rev make a difference?-there were 2
thanks 4 input

How much data do you have? Would a new HD with raid and your old linked by USB to carry over information be a solution?

I think another Gigabyte GA-8knxp would solve my problem, would the rev make a difference?

If you can find the exact same mobo you can flash the BIOS with the ver. you were running. This should restore everything 100%, if not do an in-place Windows repair (2nd repair option).

While RAID 0 is fast, its fault-tolerance is the worst. One should be prepared for total failure at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back