Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead mobo? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickjkay

Technical User
Sep 25, 2006
GB
A few moths ago I decided to clean my CPU properly by taking it out of the core with the headtsink attached. When I put it back I bent the pins on the CPU. Eventually got a suitable replacement CPU -now when I turn it on I get no Beeps, just power to the fans on the PSU,CPU,GPU and an a red light coming out the optical out. Also 2 green lights on the front card reader thing with the front USB stay on, they shouldn't. The monitor says not signal and the USB's don't work....

I got the CPU of ebay, so don't know if it's that-but a wrong one I bought would turn of after 10 seconds. This new one stays on as long as I leave it.

I havn't taken out the cards yet, or reset the CMOS. But what are the chances that when I bent the pins I killed the core? The fact the correct CPU stays on for longer means progress. I should point out it's a P4 478 3.2 HT, upgraded from a 3.0-it's the right CPU-and everything worked before. Help! I really don't want to scrap the case and GPU as it has a scart set into the case and I want to use it as an old school MPC.

sounds like a mismatched CPU, meaning that the mainboard may support it, but the BIOS is not up to date to do so properly...

to fix it, you would need to get a working CPU (ergo just like the one you took out - go to the manufacturers website and look for the CPU Support list of the mainboard you are using) and then flash the BIOS to the latest that the manufacturer provides...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

The mobo has the latest bios and the CPU is sipported 100%. After closer inspection I damaged the core, so some of the pins arnt conecting-oh well!

It sounds like you need to chalk this one up to experience, any further expense on this kit might be wasted. Try buying a "barebones" kit where the CPU is already installed.

And, remember eBay is a crapshoot when it comes to electronic components.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Personally, I've never had a socket 478 CPU where the pins were so bent that they couldn't be straightened with a magnifier and scalpal. A bit fidley I admit.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

I've never had bent pins, but have heard the best way to straighten them is with a technical-style mechanical pencil. Thanks to my work I am well armed with .03, .05 & .07 mm technical mechanical pencils...now all I need is a CPU with bent pins to test the method!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back