Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead IP Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakins

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2001
US
I have an several IP Office 406's. I am in the process of upgrading them to v2.0. The first 3 upgrades went well, but the 4th one did not. It made it through the config erase, but failed the upload, so now it has no config. I have connected to the DTE port at 38400 8-N-1, and rebooted. I get the following

Branch2 Loader 0.1 (4MB-2x29LV160 Flash-120ns SDRAM-10)
CPU Revision 0x0502
Multi-Sector Erase

It will not respond to any AT commands on the DTE port, and does not send any bootp requests.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I currently have a site completely with out phones.

Thanks.

I don't have a clue ( which doesn't mean too much in this forum because I am a newbie )...

But, I do have angles into Avaya tech support so maybe I can help that way. Please email me if interested and I will pursue ASAP.

I am very interested. I am currently being told by my vendor that the only option is to buy a new 406 since the other one is not under maintenance. I don't find this as a good option since the unit is only 13 months old and the Avaya IP Office - Job Aid was followed step by step. The vendor did tell me that they have had this same issue with 20 to 30 other IP Office's, all with MAC addresses close to mine.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking at upgrading soon and wanted to know tht the MAC address is so I know if mines will be a problem child!

If it is a hardware problem you Avaya will repair. Tell your vender to do a short term rental al while the unit is repaired.

We have had a number of hardware repairs done with no issue.

[cheers]

I have yet to fins an ipo that cannot be resurected after an upgrade fail - try the following

1) disconnect all network cables apart from the manager pc
2) Set the manager PC ip Addr to 192.168.42.2
3) conect to the dte port with hyperterminal
4) reboot the IPO & press esc on the keyboard
5) type AT to check for comms (not at commands MUST be upper case)
6) enter the commands AT-X2, AT-X3 & AT-X in sequence
7) start manager select go to view TFTP log.
8) if required make a note of the Mac adrre & creat the following bootp entry:-

Mac - as found above
IP 192.168.42.1
file name ip406.bin

file download should now start. if not check the following

1) that the bin file is in the binary dicectore (file/change working directory) not V2.0 alows bin files to be in a diferent directory to the working directory

2)Set the manager preferences to 255.255.255.255

Thanks for all of the responses. I have made multiple attempts at the above routine. I am not getting any response from the IP Office on any AT commands sent. Also note, that it is showing the Multi-Sector Erase message on boot up, without sending the at commands. Also, I have scanned the 192.168 network, and the IP Office is not showing up anywhere.

I will come and sort it for you.
If i don't get it working you do not pay me .
How is that for a service arrangement.
Bear in mind you have saved on not having a maintenance contract and won't have to buy a new unit.
e-mail me

Make sure to keep pressing 'esc' the very second you plug in the control unit.

Also, another thing to try is open Manager, and open up the tftp log. Connect the lan cable from the PC to the IP Office. Then power up the IP Office and see if a BootP message pops up in the tftp log. If one does pop up, note the IP address and set the PC to a vaild IP address. That might help getting it up and going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back