Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead Floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulf2

Technical User
Dec 17, 2002
US
I have a Compaq Presario 1070 notebook. On bootup I'm getting the message "601-Diskette A Controller Error". If I press F1 it continues to boot but I cannot access the floppy. Can I remedy this by replacing the floppy drive itself or is the controller seperate from the drive?

Have you made changes in the BIOS?

The controller is usually integrated into the MoBo....Even though the controller is usually found in the Super I/O chip...it is still interfaced via the ISA bus...depending on how old your System is...

Here's a Compaq link
also do Google for your error message....

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

I haven't made any changes in the BIOS. This problem started a while ago. At times it would boot up ok and I could access the floppy a few times before it wouldn't respond. Now I can't use the floppy at all. The machine is a P2 133 Mhz. Quite old! I thought if I could just replace the drive I might go for that otherwise might just use it for a doorstop. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I hate to bear bad news, but it sounds like a bad controller. If the machine has USB ports, you could invest in a USB floppy drive. That would at least extend the usable life of the machine. Here is a link for price on one

I'n not affiliated with NewEgg in any way. they just have good prices and free shipping on a lot of things.

[afro]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back