Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

deactivate plug n play 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawna3

Technical User
Sep 13, 2003
CA
My monitor works just fine but every single time I start the computer it stops at the question "new hardware has been found, press ok to install driver or cancel".

I have tried installing the generic driver it finds but it messes my monitor up. How do I get it to stop prompting me each time I boot?

Thanks.

Are you sure that it is your monitor?

Instead of going with Generic monitor drivers try installing the proper drivers for your monitor. You can usually find these on the manufacturer's webpage or on a cd/disk that came with the monitor.

Do you have any other device with a yellow exclamation mark in the device manager? Or do you have a device that is Other Devices?

Good point, Jump1ing. I checked for yellow ! and there were two, none of which was for my monitor. One is for "Existing NDis 2 driver" which I have no idea about. The other is for "PCI Multimedia Audio Device" which probably explains why my sound doesn't work.

Whenever I click ok to search for drivers it was the monitor driver that it would locate (a generic one, not the manufacturer one that I have installed) so that was a red herring to me.

I'll work on these other two problems.....

Thanks.

Your NDis which is if I remember correctly something to do with the Microsoft Netbui protocol.

Do you have a network card in your machine? If you do try upgrading the drivers for it.

Tracee3
Boot into Safe Mode and first uninstall the software (if any) from Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs for the "devices" in question, if you can figure which ones (view properties in Device mangler), then remove both ? instances....and reboot directly into BIOS and "reset" ESCD, save changes, and exit BIOS and it'll reboot fully (hopefully will sort itself out)..

have the Install CDROM handy....and/or point to the location of the .cab files on HDD, when asked. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS usually, if Setup files are on HDD

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back