Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DDR2 667 VS DDR2 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmattey

Technical User
Jul 27, 2007
GB
Hey guys,

I currently have 4GB of DDR2 667 RAM installed, i'm just wondering whether it would make much difference to my system performance if i upgraded to 4GB DDR 800 RAM?

Thanks!

Not a lot, no more than a few percent and certainly not worth the cost of replacing 4 gigs worth of memory.
Remember that the faster the clock the slower the latency and any real gains involve buying performance modules that have lower latencies and the ability to be overclocked.
Of course this all depends on your CPU....and it's front side bus (perhaps you can enlighten us)
Matching FSB with memory clock speeds normally yields the best results but can be very expensive with Cpu's that have high FSB settings.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Well i currently have a AMD dual core 6000+ 3.0Ghz but i might be upgrading to a intel core 2 duo e6850.

Would there be any difference on either of these cpu's?

Yes both would benefit from the faster memory but as I say, not by much unless you really push the boat out.
Do I take it that the real question is; if you upgrade to the E6850 should you be buying faster memory or keeping your existing 667mhz?
Well as the E6850 has 1333fsb it certainly will benefit from the faster memory type. Ideally it should be even faster than 800, maybe some Dominator PC2-8500C5 (1066mhz)or even some Corsair DDR3 DHX 1333C9DHX (with the right motherboard support) Intel X38 chipset perhaps.
The small jump from 667 to 800 will bring negligable results.
And to be honest, you're in that situation with the AMD 6000, where you are going to have to spend an awful lot of money to make any real performance improvements.
Maybe you should hang on to your current setup a few months longer or upgrade to the E6850 and an X38 chipset equipt motherboard that has both DDR2 and DDR3 support, this way you can use the 667 memory for a few months until cheaper DDR3 memory appears.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

i wouldnt mind getting ddr3 ram but certainly not now, it's like £100 for a 1gb stick. Think i'll just get a ddr2 and ddr3 compatible board if there not too expensive and i've heard the x38 chips are really good. Also for now get the higher spec ddr2 ram if i have the cash but my money is mainly going on the E6850 and the mobo which will be close to £300 as it is so not cheap.

Do you know of any Asus motherboards with 775 socket, x38 chipset and ddr2 or ddr3 compatibilty? Or any other decent make with the same spec?

Look at the Asus P5KC. It had some really good reviews on it
It supports 1333FSB and supports either DDR2 or DDR3 ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back