Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DDR Ram Pentium 4 Compatable or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayjaykay

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
GB
Im looking at getting a pentium 4 1.4 system,I have seen several companies offering the ram as DDR PC2100, my problem is this, I was under the impression that DDR ram was not compatible with pentiums yet, only AMD based systems. Can anyone out there confirm if this is the case or not.

thanx
JK

As of today, this is correct. However, in the first quarter of 2001, Via and Apollo are releasing new chipsets that allow the P4 to interact with DDR RAM (release date isn't official yet).

For now, the only configuration the P4 can use is PC133 SDRAM or RDRAM...

2002 I think he means
Get an XP1600 it's faster and cheaper
Get a board with the new Via KT266A chipset, Note* A

Thanks paparazi, I did mean "first quarter of 2002". Oops! X-)

I just built a p-4 1.4 system and i used ddr ram just buy the ddr board can't recall the name of the board will have it for you tommrow. But yes technology is there for it.

I would still recomend going with the amd chip though pentium just changed there socket size so you wont be able to upgrade without buying a new board in the future

JK,
Pentium 4 motherboards with chipsets that support DDR SDRAM are available right now. VIA, SiS, and ALi all have chipsets that support DDR memory.

Intel's 845 chipset that supports DDR memory should be available in a couple of weeks.

Intel has been battling with VIA over patent infringements but apparently the lawsuit hasn't stopped manufacturers from producing motherboards with the VIA P4X266 chipset.
Check them out here:

SiS also is producing SIS645 chipsets, which support DDR333 memory as well as PC-133 SDRAM for MSI, AOpen and ECS motherboards.
Get more info here:

Check out the boards here:

Other motherboard manufacturers should have offerings available any time now.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

Thanks everyone for your help, I Am going for the AMD the need for speed.
Best wishes
JayJayKay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back