Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DDR PC2100 and DDR PC3200 compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mldmld

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
US
I have an Intel 865GBF motherboard with 4 memory slots.
I installed 512 MB DDR PC3200 in Channel A connector 0.
Where, or can I install a 256MB DDR PC2100.
Thanks

Put it in and see if it works. Just be aware that adding PC2100 in with PC3200 will result in all memory sticks running at DDR266 (PC2100) speeds; so you will negate the benefits of the faster stick.

From my experience if you put the faster one in the first DIMM you will run at that speed until the second channel(DIMM) is needed then when the system is forced to right data to the second dimm it underclocks the faster DIMM to match the slower one. You cant have two DIMMS holding data at different speeds.

sypher,
Uhh, are you sure about that? Can you give one motherboard example that supports such a technology?

When the system is first initalized and the OS loads, all DIMMs are immediately paged and put to use. There's no definite pattern that states the first DIMM is used until it is full before going to the next DIMM (at least not that I've heard of). Interesting thought...

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

"Where, or can I install a 256MB DDR PC2100."

Quite frankly, you can put it in an older machine.

Sorry,

Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back