Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DDI hairpinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Lawrence

Systems Engineer
Mar 20, 2019
GB
I am doing some basic admin work on a MiVoice system used by my employer.
A question came up today - is it possible to dial a users DDI number from an internal phone?

e.g. i have extension 1234 and ddi 028999991234. Another user has extension 3456 and ddi 028999993456. I can dial from extension to extension of course but if I dial the ddi of the other user, it fails.

I tried this and got an INVALID message on the handset so it did not appear to be possible. Should it be possible, and if so, is there a setting I need to look at to allow this? Im assuming there is some hairpinning of calls involved.

That would be a carrier issue more than likely if you can not dial it. Is this an enterprise system? If so, I think you could set up a loopback trunk that if the DDI numbers it dialed, it routes back to the DID table

Definitely not a good idea as it can chew up trunks and doesn't always work with sip trunks at all

if for example an incoming number (DDI) is routed back out to a different number in the same range
then you will be using 3 trunks for the duration of the call.
if its a SIP trunk call chances are by that stage it will be totaly cobfused as to where the voice should be going

As jpruder alluded to its best if possible to send the customers own number range in ARS to a loopback trunk so the prefix can be stripped

that way the call appears like an xnet trunk call ( only on MIVB Enterprise)

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Yes using SIP trunks to a UK provider in this case.
As far as I know it is an enterprise system - It runs on a series of linux VMs and a fairly meaty SAN, rather than an all-in-one box.

Would this be accurate guidance on the loopback trunk setup required? - If so, ill pass to our maintainers to get it implemented.

Thanks for the help!

there is a knowledge base article on Mitel Connect about that (when using sip trunks). Do you have an MBG as SIP Proxy?
If I am not wrong, you show create rules on the MBG and not use wild card *
i'll try to find the article
cheers
daniel

Just a thought -

Have you checked your ARS digit dialled?
In the Maintenance command, type: DGT trace <DID> and see if you have a route mapped for the DID to map to.
INVALID message is usually ARS issue.

Clever men learns what Wise men shares!

invalid can also be related to the CPN being sent with the call
if that number isnt allowed on the trunk you can get INVALID

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back