Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCPROMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

GStenning

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2002
GB
We have just installed a new member server and promoted it to a dc using the dcpromo tool.
Everything appeared to be fine, except for the existing dc's within the domain showing kcc errors 1265 in event log.
It states that it failed with the following status:
The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a DNS lookup failure. I have check dns and there are records there.
The top level domain appears to have no problem
As usual microsoft is extremely limited.
Please help!!
Thanks
Graham

Hi,
I have the same problem trying to get the second server into the netwrok as an DC. I'va also noticed there stille remains a "WORKGROUP" in the network environment besides the new domain "MYDOMAIN". I can browse both servers with no problem but can not promote the second server.

If you have found an answer, can you post it here to?

Thanks,
Andy

Solved my problem.

By taking a good look at DNS-server settings and WINS. When they were working, I could promote the server.

The DNS is vital. I had a wrong zone numbers (IP's).

Hope this helps.

Andy

Thanks for this Andy
Could you elaborate a bit more.
Our DNS / WINS knowledge is limited here!!

This may help:
Scenario: 2 DC in root domain, 2 dc in child domain. All
DC's are SP3
Ran dcpromo on a new member server in child domain,
everything apeears to be fine. AD can be viewed, Sysvol
appears and login scripts appear on new server. Server is
now in DC OU.
Checked all event logs - The two exisiting dc in child
domain show the 1265 error.
Tried the micrsoft ntdsutil fix, tried removing forwarders
in DNS, tried adding the GUID address in DNS (maybe in
wrong place? - help) tried setting time to one DC for all
DC's. Tried stopping and starting netlogon to re-register
DNS.
If I try to replicate from new dc to root domain it
appears to be fine. the other way errors occur.
If i try to replicate either way in the child domain
errors occur.

Regards
Graham

Sorted it!
In case anyone has simalar scenario as mine. My answer was the guids which are generated in the root domain dns had not fully transfered down to the child domain dns (the guid for new dc was not there.
Deleted the secondary zone for the root dns in child dns and recreated it. Voila! the guid appeared and KCC errors stopped.
Before doing this i doubled checked how dns was set up. DNS was not correctly looking up the tree towards the root dns.

Sorry that I did not get back. Was out of the office a couple of days.

Great that you solved the problem. 'For me it is being a hard to too learning the new stuff of Windows 2000 Server.

Most of the problems I run into are caused by DNS/Wins stuff. Also discoverd using ADSI (comes with Resource kit). This can be usefull when getting rid off a elements that cause problems in your DC.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back