Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCPROMO Problems and DNS Misbehaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielrnz

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
NZ
I have been having similar problems to other people with regards to dcpromo and dns misbehaving and not letting me promote join domains etc. i have read through most of the posts regarding these dcpromo problems and have tried most suggestions but to no avail. i was looking through the properties for my forward lookup zone when something jumped out at me WINS! i remember glen johnson saying something about it so i enabled it and chucked in my ip address and bam!! dcpromo worked. i know it doesnt sound scientific but it damn well worked for me and i am as happy as a pig in shit!@!
worth a try anyway

cheers

Dan

[thumbsup] Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The fruit derived from labor is the sweetest of all pleasures."
Luc de Clapiers, Marquis of Vauvenargues (1715-1747); French moralist.

Other DC Promo DNS failures can be attributed to the server having a domain host name in the TCP/IP advance setting, which is why turning on WINS would work :) Real FUGLY if you install active directory and you do this:

HOST name server1.location.com
and you name your AD: office.location.com

So your server1 in active directory is server1.office.location.com but your server1 host name local is server1.location.com

AD wigs and its off to DC promo to demote, losing all your domain accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back