Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dcount or not to Dcount

Status
Not open for further replies.

schase

Technical User
Sep 7, 2001
US
I've seen several threads on the Dcount topic, and I've tried Access help, to no avail.

I have one master table (named master) that holds all the data pertaining to selling a car.

I have several reports pulling various info - by salesperson, finance person, new/used, etc.

I need to create another report separated by finance person that totals how many new or used cars they sold and calculating some of the fields.

For example, lets say Chris financed 4 new car deals. I can run a query for that, but it pulled individual deals, not a group total. In the report I need to pull the count - in other sections I'll need to pull various figures, but I think once I figure how, then I can manipulate the code.

If you are looking for Printed reports, Crystal Reports 8 has some very powerful features, but you need to be willing to spend some time figuring out CR. Once you understand it, it is a fast and easy way to generate paper. For an on screen report I often "Cheat". I create a table to hold all of the specific data that I want displayed, and then use code to place the data in the new table. It is not as eloquent as complex SQL queries, but very often it is much faster and more versatile. For instance I often compile a list of items sold, and want to know the Quan Sold, Retail Sold, Cost Sold, Number of "Occurances", the name of the item, the manufacturer of the item, the item's last vendor, last ordered, last recieved and current inventory. This information is spread over many tables, and would be very hard to extract using a query, but by writing routines to extract the summed information and store it in a "temporary" table, I can link this information with other tables to produce the final report, it is not pretty, but it is fast and effective. (I did a speed comparison a while back between the SQL generated version of this and the code generated version for a period with a hundred thousand invoice lines, and around 2,200 actual items, and the code version was orders of magnitudes faster, about 2 minutes compared to around 25 minutes for the Sql version (this was on an older computer)).

Good Luck

Hunter

Thanks for the info, but we don't have Crystal and I have to work with what we have which means either manipulating access or find a freeware.

A basic question - Have you explored the "Summary Options" provided by the Access Report Wizard? Would this feature provide what you are after?

HTH
Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back