Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCOMCNFG and Identity settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lewis

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
Scotland
www.ml-consult.co.uk
I am trying to install a COM component on a my web server. This is IIS, running under Windows 2000 SP1.

According to some documentation I have been following, I need to use DCOMCNFG to adjust various settings. One of these is to set the "impersonation level" of the COM object to "The interactive user".

I am supposed to run DCOMCNFG, select my COM server on the Applications page, then click on Properties. This opens a tabbed properties dialogue. I should then choose the Identity page from this dialogue. Under the heading "Which user account do you want to use to run the application?", I am supposed to select the "The interactive user" option.

My problem is that the properties dialogue does not have an Identity page. It just has General, Location and Endpoints. I can't see any options relating to "the interactive user" or anything similar.

My documentation is quite old, and seems to be addresed to NT 4, whereas I am using Win 2K.

Anyone got any suggestions for what I can do about this?

Thanks in advance.,

Mike
Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hmm, dcom came in vb6 exam. I haven't used it much because you can distribute a MTS/com+ component more easaly.

To do anything in windows 2000, XP (and a littlebit in NT) and all newer versions you can use management console.
start -> run -> mmc -> console -> add remove snapin -> add -> local users and groups (sql serer is in there as well and IIS) -> local computer -> finish -> close -> OK -> in the left pane drill down to groups -> Administrators and add your computername\loginname to this group.

Do other com components have this tab (like netmeeting)?
You have 2 installation packages 1 for the server and 1 for the client, on the client you have to specify the computer that the package has to run on.

I have a book here when I studied for the VB6 distributed exam so if you need some help (after 3 monts) I can look into this book for you.

If you still have this problem after such a long time you must be happy someone wats to help you solve it.
I see you are allready smiling

MikeLewis.gif

Greetings, Harm Meijer

Harm,

Many thanks for your response. To be honest, I pretty well gave up with this problem. I decided that I didn't know enough about IIS to do the job properly, so I moved onto to other things.

That said, if I get some time this week, I'll look into your suggestions. It'd be nice to get it working, if only for my own self-education.

Thanks again for your offer of help. I'll maybe get back to you later.

Groetjes,

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

OK, thanks for your reply. I will get an email if you anything new is happening.

Greetings, Harm Meijer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back