Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCOM VFox7, accessing remote data ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midiian

Programmer
Sep 20, 2002
GB
I have created several COM servers which are installed on a Windows 2000 server(automation server). I can call the COM servers from my applications no problem and they work fine on local Data (held on the automation server). However, when i ask the COM servers to work on data on another machine it all goes horribly wrong. The data is on another machine which has a drive mapped on the automation server. I was using the local drive mapping on the automation server to point to the tables i require but no luck. I have also tried using the UNC path to get to the remote data but it still goes tits-up. The share on the remote server is set for 'everyone' (temporarily!) in case its an authentication problem but still no luck. As the COM servers work fine on local data, i can only think its a authentication problem....anybody any ideas?

midiian

As the COM servers work fine on local data, i can only think its a authentication problem....anybody any ideas?
on another machine it all goes horribly wrong.

What do you mean "horribly wrong". What message (if any) are you getting?

Mike Gagnon

The client application just sits there, no OLE error messages or anything. I have to crash the client then manually close the COM object on the automation server.

midiian

Have tried to duplicate the client's environment? And see if it's a right issue. Try checking the path to see if it's correct:
CD <the mapped computer path>
GETFILE()

See if you end up in the right place.
Or try a further test (always under the client's environment). Try FCREATE('myTest.txt')
Mike Gagnon

You could always create a log file in the com server to output some sort of trace messages when your client is accessing the data, since you can't use any sort of screen i/o. If by chance the com server is trying to display a WAIT WINDOW or MESSAGEBOX() or even a GETFILE() dialog, it will hang.
Dave S.

Thanks Guys,
The Com servers have no interfaces which could pop up a screen or message so it cant be that. I am going to write a small server interface and de-bug on the server so i can see exactly whats going on. I'll let you know what the outcome was...thanks for all your help folks...much appreciated!
IanM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back