Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCOM Event ID: 10010 server fails to register with dcom 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

webdave

Technical User
Mar 23, 2001
US
Here are the steps I used to create a dcom server for windows NT environment.

In VB I created an activeX-exe to return the date and time to the calling program. I built the exe on the client PC and I assume it was register as needed. On the server I copied the exe file to the system32 directory and ran it once to register it. From the client I used VFP createobjectex('{clsid}','server') to call the server exe. After about a minute or so VFP returns an OLE error saying the server failed to execute. The server records a 10010 event saying the server failed to register with dcom in the allowed timeout. For that minute after executing the createobjectex command the server exe does launch and taxes the processor close to 100% until the timeout happens. Anyone have any ideas on what's wrong. Thanks.

WebDave,
You say that you copied the EXE to the system32 and ran it once to register it . . . that sounds fine, but is it possible that you are missing some dependancies that are required to create the object, but not to register it? Try creating a small setup program from the ActiveX exe and verify that all of the required dependacies are in place. If that doesn't work, then perhaps you may want to look at the security settings for all pieces involved in your application. Just a few ideas . . . I hope some of them help!:)

- Jeff Marler
(please note, that the page is under construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back