Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DCOM Error 10016

Status
Not open for further replies.

jspurr

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2004
CA
Hey, i am getting a few errors on my windows 2003 box. i just dcpromo'd it into our windows 2000 domain (2 windows 2000, 2 windows 2003) i noticed when i activated Routing and Remote access that these DCOM errors started poping up all the time. i have looked up and found that some of these errors are tied to IIS but i do not have that installed yet. here are the error messages:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: 12/13/2005
Time: 12:25:05 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: ANNAPSRV
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I have tried to add Network Service under the dcom window but i get that it dosnt exist when i try to do that... any ideas would be great!

Justin

type dcomcnfg
goto the dcom object with the SID mentioned.
goto properties
click on security tab
click on customize under Launch and activation permissions
grant whichever ID you are using local launch permissions

MCSE NT4, 2000, 2003

The problem is i dont see that SID any where. and im not sure what object to go into...i went into the properties of "my computer" then went into com security and went to launch and activation premissions and tried to add network service but it said it wasnt found... any other ideas?

Justin

Try searching for the SID in the registry. That may point you towards the DCOM entry you need to modify.

Microsoft Certified Nut.

ok ive found some enteries with the registery with the Network Service tied with it. should i make a backup of the registery and remove those records? if i right click on the registery key and go to premissions network service is one of the "auth" users to modify the key but i dont know how it got there..

so what should i do from here?

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back