Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DC Upgrade from 2000 SBS to 2003 SBS help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsokc

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
US
Ok, i've got a DC running Win 2000 SBS and it's running exchange 2000. I bought a brand new server and want to load 2003 SBS on it and promote it to the primary DC and take the place of the current 2000 SBS. From what i'm readin, you cannot have 2 SBS DC's running in the same domain at once. Is that true? If so, what other options do i have besides creating a new domain and having to go around to 45 machines and change everything? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. I did search and found that but i was looking for alternative options...the ones that don't cost extra money!

The benefit of going with SwingMigration?

For the $200 you get much more detailed documentation than Microsoft provides, including lots of "If you're at this point and get this error, do this," and you also get 90 days of free email support from SwingMigration. The guy who runs it is online an insane amount of time, and it's very good support.

I used the Swing Kit and was very impressed.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

I second that, I have used it quite a few times too

I followed the Microsoft documentation for the conversion from SBS200 to SBS2003 and in both instances hit massive issues that were eventually reslved by performeing a brand new install.

This was before the swing migration tool was available...

I cannot recommend more strongly that you avoid a direct migration just DON'T do it!

I have never used the swing kit - have heard great reports about it - and with 40 users do you really want to risk messing it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back