Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DC to Member Server Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgeddis

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
CA
Question: Is there anyway to speed up Domain Controller to Member Server communication over slow links? The DC and Member server arr currently at separate sites. This would be over a communication line between sites running at 56K.

Are there any features within Windows 2003 Server that would help us accomplish this task? System Monitor might be helpful in this reagrd but I was wondering if there was any configuration changes or settings that would help adjust for line speed between site. I know that AD sites and services pertains to DC's only?

You do not have a domain controller at a remote site? That is not a good idea, IMO. I don't think there is any way to change the speed of the link communication between those servers. If you put up another domain controller in that remote location, then you could control the speed using AD Sites and Services and link costing.

We have two Domain Controllers, one being offsite.

I think the best option here is to have a DC at each site. I would also check ADSS and make sure that the replication partnering is done thru IP and not RPC. If it is RPC, it will be SLOW across a slow link.

Thanks. I'll look into the possibility of having additional Domain Controllers, and replication partnering. We currently have 6 separate sites with a single domain controller each at 2 of these sites which have ADSL line speed. The remaining sites have 56k lines with a single member server at each site. Would adding more DC's increase replication traffic even with link costing? Would there be a significant difference over slow links having DC instead of member servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back