Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DC on separate subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteder

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
US
My PC is on a different subnet than my DC. I have forwarding enabled in my firewall and I have been able to join the Domain. When I boot my PC and connect to the DC, I get long delays and then I get the error message can't locate roaming profile. there are currently no logon servers available to service logon request.

I can nslookup the domain controller from my PC.

What do I need to setup in order for my PC to authenticate to the DC across a subnet?

thanks, Mike

a Router

Breakerfall
®º°¨¨°º can you ping me now...GOOD! º°¨¨°º®

if that's all you have,

•1Client
•1DC

why are you subnetting?
just curious.

Breakerfall

this is in a test environment. i'm currently testing this because i need to be able to log in to the domain with clients on either subnet. clients on the same subnet as the DC login fine. when i change the DC to a different subnet, there is a delay and then a message saying that the roaming profile cannot be found. and by the way, we do have a router...:)

hardware router or a win2k box doing routing?

Breakerfall

Cisco 3600 (hardware). After it used local profile, I can ping server, nslookup server, net use to map a drive. But I still get the long delays and the message mentioned above.

try to set up forwarding on port 53 on the router

Breakerfall

forgot to mention,
you need to set up both TCP & UDP protocols

Breakerfall

remember that the DNS for the client should be the IP of the router, not the IP of the DC. The router will take care of the forward, through the port mapping (53,TCP/UDP) that I mentioned in my first post today.

Breakerfall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back