Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DC acting all funky in Network Neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taoron

MIS
Oct 15, 2002
US
All member servers / workstations are disappearing from network neighborhood and I have no idea why!

Computer Browser is turned on on the DC, as well as all workstations.

Workstation & Server services are started.

I checked event long, this is the only odd thing I can find:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: BROWSER
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8015
Date: 1/2/2003
Time: 3:00:05 PM
User: N/A
Computer: STLPATDC01
Description:
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{94339906-6097-427F-B495-DE8911AAD1C1} because a Windows 2000 Server (or domain master) browser is started.

When you have one missing, what happens if you go into the windows explorer bar and type \\missingpcname? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
we ought to know a little about everything."
Blaise Pascal

Sometimes it opens that computer, or it says it cannot find the computer name. Most of the time it opens the shared folders list.

Check this out. I have to agree with the last statement. I turn off browsing on all machines except dc's. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
we ought to know a little about everything."
Blaise Pascal

You can also do this. Find out the speed and the Duplex of the hubs and switches on your network and configure all the NIC cards to run at that speed and Duplex. Do not use hardware default on the NIC's. ie: 100/FULL DUPLEX. This will stop that error as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back