Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[dbnmpntw]Access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanS

Technical User
Feb 21, 2001
AU
I have recently completed development of an asp application and am now trying to distribute that application to users.

I am using IE 5 connecting to a SQL 2000 on a windows 2000 server running the asp/html application.

Users are connecting to the server from their PC's and logging into the application okay. Following this, at a random point, they get the following error when the application would be connecting to the sql server:

A runtime error has occured
Do you wish to Debug?

Line 49:
Error: [DBNMPNTW]Access denied

The application works fine on my machine and numerous others - expect this one user. I have checked the browser security permissions (okay), the sql server error log (nothing) but cannot work out why the error would be occuring.

I am not a Network administrator so need help! Is the network timing out somehow and stopping the request to SQL Server?

any help would be appreciated
jan

It appears that the error is referring to a particular file dbnmpntw.dll that according to Microsoft, is Pipes Net DLL for SQL Clients.

I did a search on Google groups for your error, [DBNMPNTW]Access denied, and there are loads of people in the same boat but offers of too many different solutions. Go take a look and you should hopefully find a solutions.

Spence

Thanks for your help. I had a hunt around and found a few things to try but nothing that definately shows me what the problem is.

The only thing I have been able to determine this monring is that this problem only occurs on Windows 98 machines. Mean anything to you?

While I've not had this happen in the same circumstances myself, I've had similar problems connecting to a SQL Server backend with multiple MS Access frontends at once - it that case there was no error - only the computer crashing.

In my case it turned out to be using Named Pipes instead of TCP/IP networking.

Try typing
cliconfg
in the command prompt (on the problem client machine), and changing it to use TCP/IP.

Just my suggestion.
codestorm
Fire bad. Tree pretty. - Buffy
select * from population where talent > 'average'
<insert witticism here>

This utility will exist on a Windows 98 machine even though no sql server related applications have been installed? Just windows 98, Office 98 and Page Maker.

Not sure .. I just searched on some machines here and they appear in the windows/system directory .. it's possible they come with Office (for MSDE) or some such. codestorm
<insert witticism here>

Try installing the latest MDAC, just for the heck of it and see what happens

I am starting to wonder if this problem is actually IIS access/permissions.

I can get the user accessing the application on the web server correctly if I create a user account for them on the web server. All works fine while this account exists and continues to work fine once I delete the account. However, if their machine is rebooted, I need to recreate them as a user on the server to allow the application to work correctly again. Strange huh!

Perhaps this is beyond this group. Any idea where I can ask for IIS help regarding this issue?

I assume the IUSR_<machinename> account has sufficient priveledges to work the site? codestorm
<insert witticism here>

The IUSR_<machinename> user has the following permissions:

NTFS - read + read & execute to all necessary asp/html files
IIS - anonymous access allowed; integrated windows authentication aslo enabled
SQL Server - user exists and has acces to the database and necessary tables/stored prcoedures

anything else I should check?

not sure - i only ever use sql server authentication codestorm
<insert witticism here>

I too use SQL server for authenticating the user. BUT I have found that access to the .asp/.html files is controlled by IIS and NTFS. If the user can get to these files to run them they will never get a connection to SQL Server to authenticate database access.

Because this problem happens irregularly, I cannot determine what is causig the problem. All I know is that if I map a drive on the users machine to the server, all works fine.

I too was having this error on a Win98 PC trying to connect to SQL Server throught Crystal 8.5. I used the suggestion of running cliconfg and saw Named Pipes as my default. I changed this to TCP/IP and it fixed my problem.

Thanks
kim Thanks s-)
Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back