Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DBMS is not supported in your current installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksmithy69

Programmer
Apr 20, 2001
CA
Hello. We currently have a third party application that connects to an Oracle 8i database. Everything was working fine, but one of the end users recently had her computer profile name change. Now, every time she tries to access the application, she gets a "DBMS is not supported in your current installation" error. I assume that this is not a database related error, but something that will have to be resolved on the end users side? Thanks a lot.

No, it is an application called Touchfit . This is software that is used in health clubs to keep track of memberships etc. The way it is set up in this case is the software uses a barcode reader to scan the members card, which then connects to the database. It was working fine until the profile change. The Touchfit folks are saying it is a database issue. I'm saying that it is something on the end users side that needs to change.

Googling the error "DBMS is not supported in your current installation" gives quite a few hits (for various apps), so I'd be surprised if this isn't something they've come across before!

All I ask of you
Is make my wildest dreams come true

As a method to help isolate your problem, I would do the following:

1) Revert your user to the earlier profile
2) Confirm that the user again has full functionality (i.e., works again)
3) Create a "sandbox" user to which you assign the previously failing profile
4) Determine if the "sandbox" user has full/no functionality

At that point, I would compel the application vendor to offer their technical support to show/determine why the new profile is non-functional.

Let us know your findings.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back