Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dbdefrag 'unable to open database'

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamdigital

Technical User
Apr 6, 2001
GB
i'm running arcserve2000, windows 2000, i've got about 4 gb free for the database unfortunately it increases about 500mb per day, the prune is running at 1200 each day, but i'm unable to run the dbdefrag command successfully. i enter .....dbdefrag -L arcserve;admin;secret Astpdat.....which returns with :-

DBSTAT Utility - Velocis 2.1.399 [09-Feb-2000]
Copyright (c) 1992-2000 Centura Software Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

DBSTAT result: Unable to open database Astpsdat

DBSTAT Completed

therefore i'm having to re-init the database approx once a week

hopefully the fact i'm a novice with this product will point to the solution being easy and straight forward!

Stop the database service and then restart it. Reissue the command and you will be fine.

Unfortunately this does not seem to cure the problem.
Anyone any ideas out there????????????

I am digital.... Let us know if the above docco helped, if not then we will research it further.

guru

I have the same problem :(

this shows how to maintain the DBase "if" you can login ..
but we can't :(

.. i think my DB is corrupt .. any ideas on recreating the DB ... (guess i'll have to reinstall)

even in the job logs i get: failed to login to ArcServe Database (EC-2005)

i have previously read the above document with the intention of actioning it but i can't access my dbase when i enter..

dbdefrag -L arcserve;admin;secret Astpdat

iamdigital I've asked CA the same questions

this is what i got back:

"Hi.,
This is with Reference to your Issue Number xxxxxxxxxx
The command line should be dbcheck -L arcserve;admin;secret

this username and password are by default and thats what you are supposed to use rather then
using the netbios name ,arcserve system account or password. "

but i got back to them explaining that it didn't work ...

Question: Did you ever reinstalled arcserve on the same server ??

Iam Digital,

I had you exact same problem...the credentials you are using are correct, just NOT able to open the DB. I was baffled and decided to stop the database services from the control panel and then restart the service. This definitely worked for me on more than one occasion. I am shocked you tried this and you are still unable to open the database.

guys,
Make sure the CATPATH variable in the system environment variables are pointing to the correct location of the arcserve database. Also, try making the database engine servivew "log in as" the arcserve system account.

Also in the variables, delete the RNNAME variable if it exists.

Thanks

guru

Thanky ARCserveGuru,

Checked it but didn't work
I reinstalled the program that did the trick :(

ah well got it working now ... atleast till the next time my db screws up :) ..

Thanks all for your attention ..

YEah, I know how annoying it is to re-install, that is why I try everything to fix it before. A re-install is usally the last thing on the list of things to try.

I am glad it is working now.

guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back