Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dBASEIV and Win2000/NT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlfredD

Programmer
Oct 17, 2002
DE
Is there any Solution to run dBASEIV 2.0 under Win2000 SP2 or NT4 on a fast processor-machine (2 GHz). On slower machines (1GHz) with Win2000 SP1, it works. What about dBASEV. Are there the same problems?

Thanks for each helpfull hint.

Yes. There is a dBASE IV version 1.7 update available for free that fixes the "fast processor" problem. The problem lies in dBASE IV's mechanism for creating filenames for temporary files. The faster processors are way beyond anything that existed when dBIV was programmed, and the old method ends up creating the same filename more than once. The fix uses a different method that works most of the time.

The update is a complete dBIV package, and it requires a valid ID key to install. I run it under NT 4.0 on a 500-MHz PIII.

I do not recall exactly where I found it. Try a web search. In the meantime, I'll try to locate the source and post it here in the next few days.

Erick

Oops. Just realized I failed to read the question carefully, and answered the wrong question on Dec 3. Ignore my Dec 3 reply. Sorry.
Erick

I have been running my copy of dBASE IV 2.0 on a 2GHz under Win2K SP3, for a few months now and have seen no problems related to running it specifically on a fast machine. If this is still an issue, perhaps you will describe the specific issues you face.

John

Similar problem we are facing at this exact moment in time.

We just got 10 fast machines running win2k.. we the rest of the department is running dbase IV v2.0 on win98 platform with minimal error..

on the new test machine though running win2k.. we are currently experiencing: (1) extreme lag running dbase IV v2.0.. type "P" and it will take a second or so for the "P" to show up on the screen (2) sending to the printer does not seem to work.. it takes forever spooling and never shows up on the print queue

Any help with this matter would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks!

In response to:

jgood4u (Programmer) Feb 13, 2003
I have been running my copy of dBASE IV 2.0 on a 2GHz under Win2K SP3, for a few months now and have seen no problems related to running it specifically on a fast machine. If this is still an issue, perhaps you will describe the specific issues you face.

John

I am running the exact same thing right now but I am experiencing crucial lag. Are there any settings, mods, or patches you have on that might contribute to yours working properly? Any software or settings disabled? Also are you printing ok? Would greatly appreciate any help in this matter! Thanks

update..

dBaseIV 2.0 on win2k sp3: the lag is significantly better when we run dBase IV locally instead of from the server (NT4.0 sp6).. however there is still some lag and printing still spools for a long time and never reaches the queue (the screen crawls with the pages and eventually reaches the menu)..

Furthermore when running the application dBaseIV 2.0 there is minor lag browsing the menus so I don't think it is the way the dBaseIV program was wrote...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back