Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dBASEIII+ indexing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

orschep

Technical User
Feb 6, 2008
CA
Hi All,

I am having a problem reindexing a database file in dBASEIII+ and am hoping that someone can help me resolve it. The file is (297,647 records) 24,78KB in size and when I appended a 1,274KB file to it and then tried to reindex, it wouldn't complete the indexing althoug no errors were reported. The index files (3) are each 20,930KB in size before appending. The progress percent seems normal until it gets to 70 something percent and then it jumps to 100 percent but the index file sizes are as follows: 22,008KB, 3,576KB and 3,576KB. After this reindexing I encouter record not in index errors. When I remove the appended records it indexes fine.

I have plenty of space on the drive (232GB free) and 4mb of ram.

Any help would be appeciated.

orschep1

check for dbf corruption, using dSalvage or something similar

Ez Logic
Michigan

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I have found that the files are not corrupt. I can index either file separately with complete success. The problem seems to be with the size (when it reaches approx. 25MB in size which happens when I append one of the files to the other) of the file. I also noticed that the index file that is indexed on 4 fields works fine but the two other index files are more complicated (each indexed on 5 fields) and they are the ones that do not reindex successfully.

Any suggestions would be appeciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back