Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dBase1V reinstallation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfthumb

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hello dBaser's ,

I'm new to this forum and I have a problem reinstalling dBaseIV on my new computer.
My original disks (0-9) are 3 1/4". I had them copied to a CD. I click Disk 0 and the installation window pops up. However the comments tell me to enter a disk to verify.
I'm stuck in a loop.
Is it possible to install dBase IV from a CD?

The installation program is looking for something in the A drive. You could try sustituting the drive letters in DOS but I think it would be easier to copy everything back to floppy disks. I'd try disk 0 first - maybe after that you can direct it to the CD. If not, copy the other disks to floppies and all should be well. There's always a better way...

HI TVIMAN,
I tried that. I copied Disk 0 to a floppy,copied Disk 1 to a floppy.
When the comments asked me to enter a dBase disk to verify I entered Disk O, with no result. Entered Disk 1 also no result.

Mmmmmm,

Strange indeed. I wonder... try unsetting the read-only attributes on the disks. My reasoning is this: if the install program is trying to verify a disk, it may be attempting to write to the disk before installing. I remember in the old days that Lotus 1-2-3 was like that. A bit of code was changed during installation. If you uninstalled, you HAD to insert the floppy and use their uninstall command so the code would be rewritten to the floppy.

Maybe something like that applies now?

Worth a try. There's always a better way...

Hello again TVIMAN, I looked in the properties window and the read only box was not checked. It was archived.
I've got dBase7 but I can't get off the ground with this Visual stuff. IV did exactly what I wanted.

Paul B

Hello again TVIMAN. I recently tried to reinstall a piece of software in my new computer and had to get another registration number from the author. I wonder if dBaseIV works that way also.

PB

I can't say anything about DB4 install; however, on DB3+ there was a registration number (I believe it was hashed) that was written to the first disk (which was a floppy--write protect had to be off.)

Another thing, there was a BAT file (if you have it, you'll see that it is/was ALWAYS supposed to install from the A: drive) some sort of security measure I presume. For some reason, I <u>think</u> the floppy's label had to match also (but I could be wrong).

My fix was to completely install all files (of DB3+) into one directory THEN make a backup of it on CD.

Hope there is something here you can use. Good luck.
--MiggyD

Halfthumb,

I doubt you'll ever get a new registration number for dBIV. Like MiggyD notes, there may be a batch file controlling the install but as I remember, dBIV was different. I may be wrong so it's worth checking out. If a .BAT file exists, edit the file accordingly. But I don't think you'll have to worry about that - you've already put the first disk on a floppy and it's still not doing it's thing so I think at this point you may have a file missing someplace - or a corrupted file. Last ditch you might do a search for a dBIV users group. Somebody must have had this problem before and may have the answer. Sorry I couldn't get you off the ground...

One last thought... copy the entire CD onto your hard drive and try installing from there. Can't hurt! There's always a better way...

Hello Tviman,MiggyD,

I believe that the only way I can use my old dBase IV software is to find an old computer with the old floppy drive, install and copy to a CD.

Now all I have to do is find someone with an old floppy drive computer.

Paul B

halfthumb...

what type of system are you trying to install this on? Write me back at patricktvi@hotmail.com There's always a better way...

Halfthumb:

You mentioned &quot;install on my new computer.&quot;

What OS is it?

I have ME (which is supposedly the last DOS-type OS that MS made) and I have access to SUBST command that helps fake drive A: to CD:\path\path\etc.

have you tried that?

hI

I have installed/re-installed dbase IV many times from floppy. The installation definitely does not write to the floppies.

One point, while I don't have an XP, it is my understanding that DOS does not run on XP, this could be the problem if it is the case.

Another point. dbase IV operates effectively from ANY directory. You could have just copied ALL the files from c:\DBASE and all sub-directories onto CD, then copied to your required destination. However, codepages could then become an issue.

Good luck.

Hi ORMSK, I also tried to install on my laptop with ME. Same thing happens. The program wants a verification disk in a.

Paul

<unethical rant> You don't know how much I want to say E-Me...I'd love to try out this challenge.</unethical rant>

Ok, now that my thoughts are cleared, I just thought if you had labeled the floppy 'DISK0' or 'Disk_0' or 'Disk 0' and was curious of the outcome. Also curious of the setup program..is it a BAT file or EXE?

--MiggyD

MIggyD,the file is &quot;Install.Exe&quot;. Renamed disk --same message &quot;insert any dBase diskette to verify&quot;

&quot;Ormsk&quot; may be right about XP being the problem. I have installed dBASE IV on DOS and Win95/98. No problems. And I sometimes run it under WinNT. I do not recall it ever wanting to &quot;verify&quot; any disks. OR... your CD files may be corrupted. Can you get back to the source disks that the CD stuff came from?

See if you can find someone with a DOS or Win95/98 machine to test your install on - even with the CD.

If it works, then XP is your problem. If it doesn't, then your files are probably corrupted and un-usable.

We have been all-Windows at work for years, but I still sometimes find old dBASE IV the absolute best tool I have for some tasks. Try printing a 5,000-line account listing to a line printer with Access. See what happens.

Erick

I have Clipper and Dbase III+ programs running under XP.

Are you sure you don't have one of those old copy-protected ones? Some of them would only let you have one install, and if your hard drive crashed, you had to use a cracker program to be able to run your software that you paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back