Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dbase Update Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene26

Programmer
Jan 29, 2001
US
I am trying to update a dbase IV table(table Y) whose fields contains the maximum ID Number of a seperate table.
i.e. if the maximum ID number of table X is 12345 then the only record in table y will contain one field with one value 12345.
this is a work around project and i have no control over the table design. The actual name of table y is control. Which I also have no way of changing.
When I am trying to update the table y value I am getting an error table operation must use an updateable query.
I am using the same connection and directory to update another dbase table .
I am using vb and ado 2.5. I also get the same error if I link to the table through access and try to update the value but I do not get the error if I open the dbase file with FoxPro.
i am completely lost and would appreciate any suggestions or explanations as to why this is happening.

This sounds like there is a record lock on table y, most likely the program that creates this record keeps the record lock active to prevent a change from outside the program. If this is true, log off all users from the program, Shut down the program itself, Make sure the directory the table resides in is accessable under your Network ID(this could be to the file level, Check with the network admin), and before doing anything copy the file to a different directory for backup. Then access the table from the DBMS of your choice. Be very careful about using the save command in you DBMS, you could save the file as a different file type over writing the original. If at all possible you should use dBase as your DBMS.
Riley

Are you using ADO or DAO. ADO does not support updates or deletes to dbase IV you have to use DAO version 3.51 or before.I have had the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back