Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dbase Plus - ease of use compared to Dbase 5.0 for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigroger

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
AU
Hi,
I am an experienced programmer in dBase IV for DOS.

I have for some years had many goes trying to program dBase 5.0 for Windows.

I have particular difficulty with creating forms and using properties.
For example I think code as to be written to allow a text field to "wrap". I also can't get anywhere with Memo fields.

I know that dbase 5.0 was an absolute falure for Borland, and it is for me too.

I want to use dBPlus but I have some concerns re the difficulty of programming.

My general question is, is dBase Plus easier to program than dBase 5.0 for Windows?

Would I be better using FoxPro?

It would be nice if dBase was available in a demo mode.
For me to buy dBase Plus I am looking at about AUD $1,000

Regards

Roger Brealey
Australia

What are your immediate and long term goals and needs? How long will you be supporting and enhancing it? Do you want to port with a minimum of fuss and rewriting, or are you willing to spend time learning and converting another sister language such as Visual FoxPro? (I lean towards VFP not out of wanting to send M$ more money but because the program is quite powerful, is still being actively enhanced with each version and has a vast worldwide programming community for support. As you can see in thread290-698513, each person has their own preferences and suggestions. You have to weigh the factors. Only you can make the final decision.)

dBASE Plus is very different from Visual dBASE 5 for Windows. Honestly, you will have to get used to its object-oriented language: that will take you a certain time. However, once your will understand its logic, you will be amazed how simple it is to build powerful applications.

For example, my real work is to be a pharmacist. Yet, if you give a look at the things I do with dBASE, you would think that I am a professional developer. The reason is the simplicity of the dBASE language and the outstanding technology under the hood of that development platform. Judge by yourself:

My real problem is lack of confidence, in windows programming although I am getting better at understanding objects (properties etc).

I have dbase 5.0 for Windows and can play around in it but my real concern is what if I bought dBase plus and could not use it?

The application I have written in Dbase IV, is very complex, but super easy for the user to operate.
I have been writing (and tweeking) my application 8 months (part time).

Currently I compile and create distributable .exe files using dbase (DOS) compiler (and use it's 32 bit library).

The program branches to many routines (150 at last count) dependent on user responses which are mainly Y/N gets.

Because of the frequency of the condtition requests and statements I do not believe object oriented programming is the solution (for me).

To get responses from the user I expect that I will use SDI (single document interface) calling a unique form to display each group of say and gets. Apparently this is as close as one can get to mimicing the behavour of the DOS version in Windows. Multiple Document Interface (MDI) would not be allowed to operate.
I think form type is "Modal".

For example I have hard-coded the SAY's and GET's throughout my .prg files, and have used very few FORMS.
As I understand it wherever I have Say's and Get's hard-coded I would call a form to accept input from the user (or simply to display text).

Am I on the right road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back