Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dBASE-IV conversion to Visual dBASE in W2Kpro

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidSLee

Programmer
Jun 9, 2003
US
Can anyone tell me (1) if I can cleanly convert from dBASE-IV to Visual dBASE by Borland and (2) will Visual dBASE work OK in a W2Kpro environment? The conversion doesn't have to be perfect, just reasonably clean.

I don't think that you can do anything cleanly in DBase any more. See the other nearby messages. One problem is that the processors nowadays go too fast and produce errors.

I became quite advanced with DBase IV programming. Gave up when DBase5 /Dbase for Windows arrived (showing my age) because they were so unstable.

Regards
BrianB
** Let us know if you get something that works !
================================

Hi BrainB,

Thanks for your response.

Not an encouraging comment though. I depend on dBASE to keep track of my drawing, project and PO numbers. I hate the thoughts of going back to a cumbersome manual system.

===================================================

Hi cfneumann,

Thanks for your response.

I saw the ad for dBASE SE. Tell me, if you will, does it really all that they say it will?

Regards,
David Lee

The simple answer to that question is 'yes'. SE (and PLUS,
of course) provide a number of tools to assist in the migration of DOS dBASE apps to Windows, but you should be aware that some work likely will be involved in the migration. You would not be unwise to do a little homework - there are articles on DOS->Windows migration in the dBASE
KnowledgeBase, and the SE documentation may be downloaded from dBASE.com.

Christopher F. Neumann
[dBASE Charter Member]
Blue Star Visual dBASE graduate
ICCP TCP/IP Network Analyst
Data Communications Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back