Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dbase IV 2.0xx69 on UNIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter6

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2001
US
I have several UNIX (SCO) servers using dbase IV 2.0xx69
dbase has been running for years on these servers....
now I'm encountering the following problem on SOME servers
but not others

when I open dbase, and do "dir" it shows the .dbf files as
"not readable" and I have to enter the FULL path to invoke
"use" otherwise, it's looking in the root directory....

on other servers, I can cd /my/directory, fire up dbase and the "dir" command shows as it should (with number of records, etc)

on the servers that show as "not readable", if I issue a "create" command, it gives me the following message

Lock failed, but not because of previous lock : /file.dbf
and simply returns to the "." prompt....

I'm baffled on this.....I have verified the servers have the same "PATH" variables and same config files (config.db)
etc

Also, if I copy a .dbf from a server that works properly to one that doesn't, I get the same problem (which tells me it's not a header problem, etc)

Anyone have ideas, suggestions, run across this problem before??

Any help is really appreciated

Scott Ullmann
TelespectrumFX
sullmann@telespectrum.com

I have never used Unix so forgive my ignorance in that respect. The only quick fix I can offer, since I've never used unix, is to create a program file (not sure what the extension is in DB4 but in DB3+ it's .PRG) to SET PATH TO (whereever DBFs are).

If this was windows, I'd suggest to look at the properties of the link and confirm that it points to the proper "start in Directory" text box.

Sorry, if this doesn't help. Anyone else? --MiggyD

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Well, it even gets a little more weird....

I am in the /usr/mydirectory/dir1 , and it works fine without a problem....don't have to put full path, can create without a problem, etc....

HOWEVER...if I am in the /usr/mydirectory/dir2 , I can't..
even with having BOTH paths in the PATH in .profile

any ideas??

Try checking permissions. A dbf always opens read/write. As a test change the dbf file permissions to chmod 666 in dir2.
erik...

I need a Unix command line converter for .dbf files to .txt or .csv

I've got to convert a bunch if omniform dbf exports. Am using DBFView under windows, but this is a screen oriented interactive program. Would like something I can pipe through in a Unix shell script to automate the process.

fdf@frantzsystems.com

Are you using windows xp. If yes see below
if no
following probably doesnt apply
I recently started using windows xp to run some old dbase code. Files that were found using previous operating systems could not be found by the old code using xp(pro).
I finally found that by adding some ltrim statements to the code, I was able to eliminate the problem. This might help
Ps - I am currently using dbase for windows 5.
My code uncontrollably closes and quits dbase back to the desktop after a minimal number or new records are added.
Dbase Inc told me that the 16 bit design of my current dbase conflicts with the 32 bit design of xp- thus causing the problem
I should Buy new version of dbase plus 32 bit
I dont yet buy the answer, as all features work- but seem to " time out" or something ?
Dont feel like spending the time or money to buy new version and rewrite all my code.
Perhaps you could comment
Rudy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back