Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DBA Studio Locks up on Startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninatodd

MIS
Oct 18, 2000
US
Hello There:

I'm new to Oracle and have just installed Oracle 8i on my laptop (Windows 2000). When I try to run the DBA Studio - the 'Launching Application...' Window appears and than just sits there. I can get into SQL Plus and the Worksheet and I can test the connection via the Net8 Assistant but I just can get DBA Studio launch correctly (about 1 out of every 10 attempts are successful) - there are no error messages.. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Have you checked your memory, how large is it? There might be a shortage in resource.

I have 256MB of RAM on my machine. I have trouble opening DBA even if I close everything else down. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

This occurs intermittently right?
Try and check this one too:

Set to Automatic then Start the OracleOraHome81ClientCache
service in Services.
Restart DBA Studio.

Another item is to set the TNS_ADMIN in your registry to point to c:\ORACLE_HOME\network\admin\.

You need more RAM. 256 will not cut it.

Our server had 384 meg memory and had problems even before the Db became operational with "real: data.. Now it's at 1 gig and the recommendation was 3 gig. We figure we'll do okayat 1 gig simply because the queries are so simple. Also, I run DBA Studio on another computer with a link to the Oracle server to avoid memory problems..

Dude, Oracle DBA Studio is client software. There is no way it needs more than 256 meg memory to run.

This problem is with the Oracle software itself and nobody can figure out how to fix it (short of launching the app around 10 times until it finally works). Once it does get running, it uses around 12-20 meg memory.

If this is an NT box, try ending the process jrew & starting it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back