Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DB_File module installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye71

Technical User
Feb 9, 2001
US
I am running ActivePerl 5.8.4.810 on a Win 2K PC.
I do not have DB_File module installed.
I downloaded it from for Windows.
When I ran it : pppm install DB_File.ppd
I got the following errror:
Error: no suitable installation target found for package DB_File.

I also tried to install DB_File module by using the
ppm install DB_File
from the command prompt, it errored out:
Error: No valid repositories
Error: 500 Can[t connect to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 <Bad Hostname ppm.ActiveState.com>

Even though I could open the ppm.activestate.com webpage via IE.

If someone can guide me to another location to download this module or tell me if I am missing something, I will appreciate it.

Thanks,
Indiana

Look up cpan -the comprehensive perl archive network

There's an interactive shell that even works onDOZE, takes a bit of configuring, but well worth the hassle

HTH
--Paul

It's important in life to always strike a happy medium, so if you see someone with a crystal ball, and a smile on their face ...

Thanks Paul.

Do I need the Berkeley DB as well on my web server?
If so why?

Thanks,
Indiana

Every one should have at least one DBA, coz no-one can afford two"

You can have both, but if you're not using it, get rid of it. I'm not sure what the diffs are, if any, google could help here.

I'm finally getting around to using MySQL myself.

--Paul

It's important in life to always strike a happy medium, so if you see someone with a crystal ball, and a smile on their face ...

Paul, Thanks again.
I am not a DBA [smile]
So far my understanding is that I need either MySQL or the DB_File for my search engine to work.
Am I right?

Thanks,
Indiana

I,
It depends on your search engine

Perlfect uses DB_File, and that works on *nix or Win32, MySQL as well, other ones dunno.

The reason is that your search engine needs to look up your indices in a reasonable time frame, and unless you're into a world of hurt of developing massive hierarchical text structures, with cross references, I tend to leave things like these to the experts.

HTH
--Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back