Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DB Won't Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie13

MIS
Jan 15, 2002
CA
HI,
I've run into a situation i have never seen before and i was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.
I have a database in acces 97. its a bout 500 MB. I just compacted the DB, but when I do this the DB doesn't unlock, and thus the compacting creates a new DB. How can i close the origianl one and get rid of it?
LEt me know if you have any ideas
Jamie

Make sure no one is in the database, and the databse is closed, then delete the .ldb file from window explorer. The lock file should now be gone. If you get a deletion error due to permissions, again ensure no one is in the database and try again. I have also found that rebooting the machine will clear any "rogue" tag in the .ldb file so you can delete it. Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve! This makes the post more visible to others in need! [thumbsup2]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

I tried deleting that file but it told me it might be a read only db or i might not have permissions to delete. THere are definately no users in the DB as i haven't ginven anyone access tot he shared drive yet. I need some way to unlock these files.
Jamie

Again, there can be no one in the database, including yourself.

Open the file (just double click it and ope it with notepad) and see who the file says is logged in. If you can identify who is logged in (mine shows computer name and permission to database), make sure that machine does not have it open or anything.

Once you are absolutely sure there is no machine attached to the database through the lock file, try deleting it. If this fails, you will probably need to reboot the machine to be able to clear the lock file. Reboot the machine and then delete the lock file.

Outside of this, I am at a loss. I have never had a lock file stick after I rebooted the computer. Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve! This makes the post more visible to others in need! [thumbsup2]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back