Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DB Source Control? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamroof

Programmer
Nov 5, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

What tools do the MSSQL pros use for working on a database in a development environment? Whats the best way to know whats been updated so you can apply to a production db?

Right now i am just generating alter statements from notes i've written down.

Perfect, thanks! I knew i couldnt be the only one with the same question, but my intergoogle skills failed me on the search.

Emtucifor said:
Ideally, the changes to the Test database would be applied through a tool that automatically saves the script, so you're not relying on developers to remember to log their script in your script-collecting tool.

This is so true even for the single developer environments!

SqlDenis said:
I have all the code (DDL and procs) in SVN and then go from there, scripting the changes out and running that on prod when we are ready to deploy

SVN along with the SQL compare seems to be a magical solution, at least then i can diff the scripts!

I already use the DBComparer.

We make all our databases changes through scripts that are put into Subversion for source control. When we deploy a change, all our database changes are grouped with all the other code changes in the deployment folder and deployed. Developers don't have rights to prod, so no changes are ever made except through scripts.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back