Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

db file growing and compacting doesn't fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.

shar

Technical User
Apr 2, 2000
IR
I have converted an Access application from 97 to XP. The problem is the XP version which keeps on growing in size, much faster than the 97 version does.

I know db file growth is a typical Access behavior. I tried compacting it, but it did not reduce the size much. I tried the decompile, compact, compile, and compact, but the size increased. Every time I decompile it, the size increases. Compacting it reduces the size a little, but it is still larger than what it was before decompile.

I started with a 12MB database and in one afternoon it got to 50MB!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Shar

Shar ...

I know of a couple of things that may help.

1) In Tools -> Options, under the General Tab, uncheck Track Name AutoCorrect Info - it's a buggy feature and doesn't work correctly, from what I've read.

2) For each of your tables, unless you absolutely need it, set the Subdatasheet Name property to none.

HTH

Greg Tammi, IT Design & Consultation
Work: Home:

Greg Tammi,

Thanks for your response. The Track Name AutoCorrect is not checked in my db. I do have a front-end back-end setting. I cannot set the Subdatasheet Name property on the back-end tables because the back-end is being used by Access 97 and XP users at the same time, I have to keep the back end in 97 format (which does not have the Subdatasheet Name property).

The only thing that I can think of is to keep the front-end 97 version up-to-date and create a new XP version from it when the XP front-end grows too big.

Now I see why everyone loves Microsoft so much.

Thanks again.
Shar

shar:

That fact that it's in a 97 format and you have XP users accessing it may be your problem right there. Microsoft release a bulletin (a while back, as I remember) about a new version of MDAC that they release, which tended to cause bloating in databases, and I believe the reason stated was that it uses a new ODBC driver. Whilst this makes no sense to me (I'm but a lowly programmer ... 'tis a thankless job, but someone's gotta do it), I've done a little bit of research on this, and this seems to the be common cause amongst bloating databases ...

HTH

Greg Tammi, IT Design & Consultation
Work: Home:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back