Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Days to be displayed in range 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

karkia

Programmer
Nov 30, 2005
US
Hi,
I need to design a report, in WebI XI r1, for "The qty of product that have been in stock for some range of days (say, since they were brought to the warehouse till today). I have Product dimension, #ofDays in inventory and the qty. Looks simple. But the problem I am facing is that the report should display the #ofDays as a range-

#ofDays Product1 Product2
------- -------- --------
1-30 10 5
31-60 8 5
61-90 4 2
>90 1 0

The # of Days is passed from the universe as some integer value. How do I summarize them into ranges, as above?

you can either use a grouping variable or use a complex 'if-then-else' construction within the report.

However, if this is a returning requirement, it could be solved very handsomely by a universe object by use of CASE/DECODE construction

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Hey Blom,
THanks for the advice. But I would really appreciate if you would elaborate on each of the methods that you mentioned.

Code:
= If (<Orderline> >1 And <Orderline> <= 10) Then "1-10" Else If(<Orderline> >10 And <Orderline> <= 100) Then "11-100" Else ">100"

Example splitting integer values into 3 groups..

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Thanks Blom, but how would it summarize the corresponding measures (here, product_qty) for these new ranges? For example, there might be 3 product1's with 5 days in inventory;10 product1's with 20 days. Now, I should have-
#ofDays Product1
------- --------
1-30 (3+10=) 13 how to sum them for the range?

Uhh,

Assuming BO has not changed it's rollup characteristics, measures should automatically roll up over the dimension they are displayed with.

The new grouping variable is a new dimension of course.

But I have not seen XI yet, something could have changed ...(hope not)

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Hey Blom, now don't shout at me. But, how would this work in case of non-numerics. For example, if I have-
#ofDays ProductName
------- --------
5 P1
9 P2
25 P1
30 P2
50 P2
55 P3
80 P1
How do I count the ProductName for the range of days?
Below is what I need-
Days P1 P2 P3
---- ---- --- ---
>60 1 0 0
31-60 0 1 1
1-30 2 2 0
When I try COUNT(ProductName), it just returns one record, and the days range appears as multivalue.

karkia,

Create crosstab like:

Productname
-----------------------
Days | Count(#ofDays)

Anyway, that is what I need to do with full-client..

P.S. I never meant to 'shout' in any case..

Ties Blom
Information analyst

As per the suggestions,I have created cross-tab report and sectionized it to reporesent for CurrentMonthEnd and PreviousMonthEnd, like below-

CurrentMonthEnd
Productname
-----------------------
Days | Count(#ofDays)

PreviousMonthEnd
Productname
-----------------------
Days | Count(#ofDays)

Now, is it possible to get the difference between the Counts for the two sections?

Well, can't test this for you , cause I'm not at work right now, but try a new variable in the body of the crosstab like:

=(Count(#ofDays) Where ...... = CurrentmonthEnd) -
(Count(#ofDays) Where ...... = PreviousmonthEnd)

In any case, this should be done with the sections that you mention disabled (other it would restrict the calculation)

I don't know exactly how your variables are named, but I imagine there is one that stores the values for CurrentMonthEnd / PreviousMonthEnd?

Ties Blom
Information analyst

I had that in mind, but how do I use the Where clause? I work with BO Webi XI rel 1. The currentmonthend and PreviousMonthEnd are predefined queries in the universe. I guess I can make use of other dimensions to get the equivalent for use in the formula.

karkia,

I think you're the kind of developer that is looking for full-client functionality.
I am appalled that this stuff is not covered by Webi XI..

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back