Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DateDiff formula is counting the weekends and it should not be..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2003
US
I am using CR 9 reporting on an oracle database. I have a report that is calculating the average open time of helpdesk tickets that are in an open status. Listed below are the formulas I am using and they are giving me the correct average age but the average age includes the 48 hours from the weekend, which I was told my @TimeDiff formula would backout. The only difference is that in the @TimeDiff formula I changed it from the "d" to the "s" beucase I need the difference in seconds. Any thoughts?

//@TimeDiff
//I use this to give me the number of seconds between to dates and backout the weekends.
DateDiff("s",{@CST_OpenTime},{@DateVar}) -
DateDiff("ww",{@CST_OpenTime},{@DateVar},crsaturday) -
DateDiff("ww",{@CST_OpenTime},{@DateVar},crsunday);

//@DateVar (This gives me a "stop time" to use in the @TimeDiff formula
DateVar abc:=CurrentDate-1;
NumberVar mon:=Month(abc);
NumberVar dy:=Day(abc);
NumberVar yr:=Year(abc);
DateTime(yr,mon,dy,23,59,59)

//@TimeDiffGroup - formula gives me the average for all the tickets in seconds then converts to days:hours:mins:secs

Local NumberVar TotalSec := Average ({@TimeDiff},{PROBSUMMARYM1.ASSIGNMENT}) ;
Local NumberVar Days := Truncate (TotalSec / 86400);
Local NumberVar Hours := Truncate (Remainder ( TotalSec,86400) / 3600);
Local NumberVar Minutes := Truncate (Remainder ( TotalSec,3600) / 60);
Local NumberVar Seconds := Remainder ( TotalSec , 60);

Totext ( Days, '00', 0,'') + ':'+
Totext ( Hours, '00', 0,'') + ':'+
Totext ( Minutes,'00', 0,'') + ':'+
Totext ( Seconds,'00', 0,'')

Thanks in advance..

Mike Soll

If you know that it worked, chahnge it back to d and then change it to seconds afterwards. There are many approaches to determining business periods, I opt for table driven means, but there are plent7y of Crystal based solutions.

Check out Ken Hamady's formula page:

-k

synapse-

I can get more accurate results if I get the datediff in seconds and then convert it to dd:hh:mm:ss. If I use datediff in days then convert to seconds it will could possibly be way off. Do you have any ideas on this? Or, Can you divuldge a little further on your "table driven means".

Thanks,
MikeSoll

You're difficulty is that you're subtracting 2 days from a seconds count, this should work, I'm not sure as I've no idea what's in your formulas:

DateDiff("s",{@CST_OpenTime},{@DateVar}) -
(DateDiff("ww",{@CST_OpenTime},{@DateVar},crsaturday)*86400) -
(DateDiff("ww",{@CST_OpenTime},{@DateVar},crsunday)*86400);

Change this to either subtract the number of seconds for the weekend period (multiply by , or go to days, or use a period table to provide the number of business hours in a period as data warehouses do.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back