Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date Value result

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnd

Programmer
Jun 30, 2001
US
CR 9 DB - SQL2K
Hi all, I need some help.
Formula @CMY1 =
val(totext(dateserial(year(DateAdd ("M",0 , CurrentDate)),
month(DateAdd ("M",0 , CurrentDate)),1),"yyyyMM"))
(the value will be incremented through separate formulas for other months).

The result of the following formula displays as 200,625.00. I need to remove the , and decimals. I can use Totext({@CMY1},0,"") to get rid of them and display 200601. But I have to truncate this value again to get it display as 2006/01. I don't want to increase the load with another set of 12 formulas to do this. Can it be done in one shot in the base formula itself?
Thanks in advance.

I'm not completely following you, but I think this is what you are looking for. As you said you are using this multiple times, easist to use custom function. To make it more generic I added the datetime as a variable too.

Code:
Function  (DateTimeVar dt, NumberVar offset)
// takes in datetime and month offset
// returns yyyy/mm

totext(year(DateAdd ('m', offset, dt)),0,'') // year plus offset
& '/'
& (if len(totext(month(DateAdd ('m', offset, dt)),0,'')) = 1
    then '0' // add leading 0 if needed
    else '')
& totext(month(DateAdd ('m', offset, dt)),0,'')

Create a formula for each iteration and call with variables desired (in this case, six months from currentdate)
Code:
cfMonthOffset (currentdate, 6)

hth,
damon

Thanks for the quick response.
I was using the following formula (12 of them)for display purposes.
StringVar YY := "";
Stringvar MM := "";
Stringvar Value := "";

Stringvar Value := Totext({@CMY1},0,"");
StringVar YY := Left(Value,4);
Stringvar MM := Mid(Value,5,2);

YY + "/" + MM;
Your formula would work as well when I modify that to Crystal syntax as follows:
Totext(year(DateAdd ("m",3, CurrentDate)),0,"") & "/" &
(If Len(Totext(month(DateAdd ("m",3, CurrentDate)),0,"")) = 1 Then "0" Else "")&
Totext(month(DateAdd ("m",3, CurrentDate)),0,"")
Note: 3 is the offset value. Here again I need the same 12 formulas which I wanted to avoid. I wanted to get these in @CMY1 through @CMY12 as numbers which are needed for my calculations.
Either way I can't avoid those extra formulas for display purposes. So be it. Thanks.

How will these 12 displays be laid out when complete? Is there a way to send a variable to offset?

damon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back