Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date/Time format (Impromptu Report)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drepso

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
AU
I have created a calculation in an impromptu report to return an interval between two date/time timestamps.

The impromptu report is retrieving records via an oracle database and the format of the field generated is:

0 00:00:50:000

I have been asked to calculate an average of this field to be used as a measure in a Cognos Cube.

I have tried changing the formatting properties in the field datasource as well as in the calculated measure but I always receive "data input conversion or overflow errors" as an error message.

Can anyone assist me with the above?

Thanks in advance

Drepso,

Try using a Round function to limit the scalar properties of the returned value.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Thanks Dave

I looked at the round functions but cannot select the calculated field I generated as it is not in the report fields picklist. I assume this is because it is looking for numeric not date/time format.

The interesting thing is if I run a report to display the two date/time fields used in the calculation; the format displayed is: dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss

however if i subtract these two fields it is:

0 00:00:50:000

Also are you referring to the round near function?

Appreciate your efforts so far.

Thanks

Hi,
U can use the function ymdint_between(date1,date2) to get the range between two dates date2 > date1.The output returned is in the format of mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm AM/PM.
It's mentioned that this conversion cannot be used in other mathematical calculations..However after converting it to string i think u can do some manipulations to get the average.

hope this helps..

Sandeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back