Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

date/time fluctuating

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkochis

Technical User
Nov 13, 2001
US
I have a site with a STarPlus. The system keeps losing the date/time. Does this system have a battery that needs replacing or what?
Thanks in advance

Which Starplus is it, I had to replace a DHS a little while back ,due to a glitch in a software version, it also was loosing time,and no consistency ,of how much time a day ,and when. The 616 and 1224 had an optional clock module.

Is the Starplus system a DHS, 616Flex or 1224EX. All are Starplus systems but handle the date/time differently. The 616 and 1224 systems have a RCU (? Clock Unit) that is actually a module that is installed on the main PCB in the KSU. I have seen the RCU go bad and had to be replaced. Please list the system type and if you don't know, have the customer turn a telephone over and get the part number on the telephone. I can ID the system by the telephone type.

I am told that the telephones are SP7314's. Never heard of this model.

SP7314 is the Vodavi Starplus DHS system. This system has a battery on the CPU that has about a 5 year life span. The battery holds up the system programming including the clock. Are you losing power on the system that you know of? Does the system lose programming and default to the factory settings? When this happens the clock goes back to Jan 1 1997, I think or something like that. Let me know if this is the case as you can replace that battery or at least get a small UPS that will help.

Haven't heard back from you on this? Check the post before this one and reply?

Actually the system is not losing any programming, but the date reverts to 1990.

This is really strange for no programming to be lost but the time reverting back. Does the system have anything programmed other than the default settings that would let you know for sure that it isn't losing programming. For example: If the receptionist telephone was the only set that rings and they don't have voicemail or any other special programming, the system could be defaulting but you wouldn't know it because your using the default values except the time and date being lost? Just a thought and the DHS is prone to lose the battery after about 4 or 5 years of service.

I install Vodavi telephone systems and have found out there is a glitch in the DHS systems that will cause one or all stations to have an incorrect date. I am not sure of all of the details, their tech support people don't volunteer a bunch of information.
What he told me was that they had heard of this happening but had never been able to duplicate it on any bench test. About a month ago, I spoke to one of the techs at Vodavi and he said they finally had gotten one of the KSU's that had done that in the field and they were now getting the manufacturer or designer or whoever to determine the cause and a fix.
There is no apparent reason or pattern for the occurance. For my customer with a DHS-E, the problem was one extension that had the wrong time. All of the other ones were OK. I think she entered the time from Sta 100, even though it was correct on her phone, and it corrected the one that had been incorrect.
They know of no fix at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back