Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date showing 01/01/84 in Network Diagram - Project 2010 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHBPJF

Technical User
May 3, 2012
US
I have a project which I believe was created in 2010, but possibly in 2007 (it's been awhile). The problem is that when I go to Network Diagram, the project start date shows the incorrect date and always shows 01/01/84.

I Google'd the issue and found this solution on Microsoft, but it doesn't do anything
I've deleted the Global.mpt and it does not get re-created again. Am I suppose to do something in order to get it recreated?

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it just a bug in Project 2010? I'm on a Windows 7 Machine.

Did your machine have an earlier version of MS Project installed? The thread you are quoting seems to be revolving around earlier versions of Project installed and a "collision" between the Global.mpt file from the earlier version.

The Global.mpt file should re-create itself when you start Project after deleting the file.

Just to be clear, when you go to Project tab, Project Information, what is the start date there?

What service pack and CU level do you have installed to Project?

Julie

The laptop is brand new and only had Microsoft Project 2010 virtualized on it. The problem with a virtualized version of Project 2010 is that none of the registry keys & folders are existent on the laptop itself.

I removed the virtualization Project 2010 and installed the physical version of Project 2010 in order to get the files such as Global.mpt. I renamed it to Global.mpt.old, but when I reloaded up Project 2010, Global.mpt did not re-create. Am I suppose to reset something before it does?

The start date shows a 2010 date under project information. Network Diagram shows 1/1/84.

Version: 14.0.4760.1000 (32-bit)

CU Level = ?

I've read online that there is a "reset" option in Microsoft Project, but I have not been able to find it. Is there such a function?

Yes, I've seen the comments about "re-set" as well, and I am unaware of any such command in Project. My assumption is that they are referring to the deletion and re-creation of the global.mpt file.

From your version, it appears as though you do not have SP-1 installed. That is the first step.

I'll see if I can find references to the Network diagram issue in any of the cumulative updates (cu). For up to date information on the latest service pack level see:

I've done a quick check of the Cumulative Updates and I see no particular reference to this issue.

I think the "re-set" command may also be a reference to custom box (node) formatting. Try selecting the box with the incorrect date, right click to show the shortcut menu, select Format Box and then click the re-set button in the dialog.

Julie

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Since this is a enterprise network, we have not updated to SP1 yet. I actually did search through all the CU's and as well did not see anything close to this matter, but who knows, maybe it isn't that big of a deal that they left it out, but was fixed.

I'll talk to the administrators to see how they feel about upgrading everyone to SP1.

I will also give note of this "re-set" command to the user who is having issues.

Ah, no now I see what "reset to default" is being referred. On the View tab, click the black drop-down arrow to the right of the "network diagram" button, select "reset to default".

What that command does is copy the view from the global.mpt file. The odd thing is that the command appears whether I have a customized network diagram view or not.

It looks like Reset to Default under Network Diagram view solved the issue.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back